Sunday, December 25, 2011

''A Christmas Carol. A Ghost Story of Christmas'' Author: Charles Dickens


''Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The
register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the
chief mourner. Scrooge signed it: and Scrooge’s name was good upon ’Change, for
anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail.
Mind! I don’t mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is
particularly dead about a door-nail. I might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffinnail
as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors
is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country’s done for.
You will therefore permit me to repeat, emphatically, that Marley was as dead as a doornail..''
read the book..

No comments:

Post a Comment